The Mid-Atlantic Blog

January 31, 2006

A Real Debate At Last About Euthanasia

This is one of those topics that I know is very emotive, and that many people feel strongly about on one side or the other. Mind you, in the last 2 days I've touched on evolution AND abortion, so I may as well make it 3 in a row...

The launch of this new grouping seems to be an important advance. Until now, the arguments surrounding euthanasia have been held on battlegrounds chosen by the pro-euthanasia organisations. The establishment of a group focusing on the other side of the argument should be welcomed by both sides, as it'll improve the quality of debate, and therefore the quality of end result.

My own view? I guess it's consistent with my view on capital punishment (against) and abortion (against, but recognising that abolition won't ever be a practical political prospect), in that in all cases where we are given the chance to choose life we should. We have much work to do on palliative care, for sure, as with life expectancy increasing and medicine keeping us alive well past the date that we'd otherwise have died 100 years ago this will affect many of us. There will continue to be many cases of pain relief causing death, as today - a necessary hypocrisy. But formal legalisation of euthanasia is simply, to me, wrong.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home